To Trill or Trillo?

Noted bass-baritone performer and teacher, Andrew Schultze is generously sharing with us a recently completed research study of his on 17th century vocal ornamentation, that can also apply to the recorder. He traces the meanings of several terms, such as trill, tremolo, trillo, vibrato, and more, from original Renaissance and Baroque sources, comparing them to later practices in singing and instrumental playing. Among the sources you’ll find some familiar names in recorder performance, like Ganassi, Praetorius, John Playford and others.


This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.